The Gallery at FOUND is an intimate art space located in our lobby. The gallery showcases works of local artists who utilize found imagery, found objects or employ an up-cycling philosophy in their work. Shows change monthly. Please contact Bill Hastings ([email protected]) if you are interested in submitting work for review.
Our Current Exhibit
The Gallery@FOUND is pleased to present Patti Witten, fauxtographer. First and Last Light in Freeville: the landscape seen from one place opens Wednesday, April 1st and will hang in the Gallery through Sunday, April 26th. Please join us for an opening reception on Thursday, April 16th from 4-6 pm.
Patti Witten has been photographing sunrises, sunsets and scenes from a single spot in Freeville, NY for more than four years. All of the photos in her Gallery@FOUND show were taken from this single lucky spot, facing east or west or simply “up.” The distant hills of Yellow Barn State Forest to the east can be seen in many shots. Patti values being rooted in a place and is fascinated by the changeability of one view. She loves the solitude and the indifference of this landscape as it puts on a grand show for no one.
Although she was a classically trained violinist and flutist in her youth, Patti has practiced a DIY ethic throughout her creative life. Following this theme, she calls herself a “fauxtographer” — not because her photos are overly edited or digitally altered, but because she is self-taught, self-directed and independent in her approach to learning and execution.
Her first cameras were a Kodak Instamatic and a Speedex micro camera made in Japan in the 1950s. Her current show was shot with a Nikon Coolpix P510 digital camera and edited in iPhoto and Photoshop. They are printed on HP and Kodak papers on a large format color HP inkjet printer, a lucky find that had been donated to the Fingerlakes Re-Use Center.
After graduating from Ithaca College in 1979, Patti supported herself as a landlord and graphic artist. She created illustration and layouts for books, catalogs, print ads, magazines, flyers, and newsletters and taught desktop publishing to adult learners at T-S-T BOCES in Ithaca.
In 1997 she turned her creative energy to music full-time after being invited to attend songwriting workshops with Rosanne Cash. Through 2006 Patti recorded CDs, toured and earned many songwriting awards. Currently she works for the Tompkins County Chamber of Commerce, takes on freelance graphic work, and operates a guest suite in her home. She continues to write songs and has hosted a local songwriters group for more than 15 years. For more information on Patti, her music and her art, head on over to her website at sway2this.com.
The Gallery @ FOUND is honored to present Maryrose Savino in a new show titled Abstract Spontaneity. Abstract Spontaneity opens Wednesday, April 29th and will hang in the Gallery through Sunday, May 31st. An opening reception is scheduled for Thursday, May 7th from 4-6pm. Hope you’ll join us for tasty treats, delicious conversation and delectable […]
2014 Artist Roster
GIFTED, An Annual Holiday Show December 3-January 4
- Jackie Dickinson: Last Call - February 2015
- New Year’s Revolution: A series of rotating paintings in acrylic by Nance Boyce - January 2015
- GIFTED ~ An annual holiday show featuring work of FOUND dealers! - November 2014
- Jane Pompilio George & Loretta Louviere: Birds of a Feather - November 2014
- The Art of Cartography - September 2014
- Paul Colucci: Sculptural Objects - July 2014
- IRON MADE: Metal work by Durand Van Doren - June 2014
- Mark Reep: Dreams In Black & White - May 2014
- Alice Gant: My Art’s an Open Book - April 2014
- Tim Wells: Emerging From Winter - March 2014
- Mary Michael Shelley: Painted Woodcarvings, Carving out a Life - February 2014
- The Marriage of Art & Craft: Jewelry Boxes & Mixed Media Paintings by Trina and Jim Bruno - February 2014
- Bonnie Bell ~ Frozen in Time - December 2013
- Once More With Feeling ~ Painted book covers and other works by Jim Garmhausen - October 2013
- Jason Cooper King: Past Sense - September 2013
- Randi Millman-Brown and Keith Millman ~ WATER VIEWS: Historic Images of Ithaca in 3D - August 2013
- Kathy Bruce: MELANCHOLIA - July 2013
- Wolff & Nagel: Studio Furniture Inspired by 19th & 20th Century Design - June 2013
- Elizabeth Tilley: Shipwrecked, Rescued & Ready to Rumba: A Sea Change - May 2013
- TWEEN: Works by Mara Baldwin - April 2013
- Cabinets and Sculpture by Jane Dennis: “Clothing On Adventure” - March 2013
- Keith Traub & Theresa Daddona-Traub ~ Unite Two Design/UTD: Farmpunk Fabrication - February 2013
- Deborah Jones ~ The Barn Story: A Graphic Memoir - January 2013
- Gifted ~ A New Holiday Tradition! - December 2012
- Peter Walz, Furniture Craftsman ~ New Work in Exotic and Domestic Species - November 2012
- Roy McCarthy: Atmospheric Graffiti - October 2012
- Linna Dolph: Once The Holes Are Filled… - September 2012
- Oiseaux Sisters ~ Making Objects, Marking Time - August 2012
- 2nd Annual Vintage Paint by Number Show! - July 2012
- Laurie Hanley Raba: My Mother’s Jewels - June 2012
- Mary Anderson: STORYTELLER - May 2012
- Donna Faivre-Roberts: Wisdom of the Wood - April 2012
- Nancy Boyce: Re-Pop - March 2012
- Dee Sprague: Whimsical Old World Animals Painted on Antiques - February 2012
- Nancy Ridenour ~ Cornell Sculpture Garden: Cement Sculpture Abstracts - January 2012
- Anesti Zakos: The Myths of Gulliver - December 2011